Baked Eggplant With Garlic, Tomatoes and Fresh Herbs
Incredible Italian style eggplant dish featuring fresh garlic, tomatoes, and herbs. Sautéed eggplant combined is layered in a casserole dish with a fragrant tomato sauce made from with finely chopped white onion, minced garlic, dry white wine, chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh parsley, basil, oregano and thyme. Eggplant slices layered in a casserole dish with tomato sauce, topped with Monterrey Jack cheese and baked until golden brown.
Cook's Notes: If desired, substitute chicken broth for dry white wine.
Baked Eggplant with Garlic, Tomatoes and Fresh Herbs
Ingredients: 1 large Eggplant Coarse Salt 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 large White Onion, finely chopped 1 Garlic Clove, minced or crushed 1/2 cup Dry White Wine 6 medium Vine Ripened Tomatoes, chop 5 (leave 1 whole) 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste 1/2 cup chopped Fresh Parsley, reserve 1 tablespoon 2 teaspoons Dried Basil Leaves 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano 1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
2. Spread slices on paper towels. Lightly salt and let stand 20-30 minutes. Blot dry.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F.
4. Add extra virgin olive oil to large skillet. Heat over medium heat. Brown eggplant slices on both sides.
5. Remove eggplant to plate.
6. Add onion to skillet. Sauté until soft.
7. Stir in garlic, dry white wine, the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh parsley (reserve 1-tablespoon), dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme.
8. Bring mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
9. Uncover and continue cooking until liquid is absorbed.
10. Season with coarse salt.
11. Spoon half the tomato mixture into a large casserole dish. Spread evenly over the bottom.
12. Layer ½ the eggplant slices over tomato sauce. Repeat layers.
13. Slice last tomato and layer over top.
14. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake 30 minutes.
15. Remove foil. Sprinkle cheese over top
16. Bake, uncovered, until cheese melts.
17. Garnish with reserved tablespoon of parsley.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tom_Lingle