Herbal Remedies for Irregular Menstruation, Menstrual Cycle Irregularities
The normal menstrual cycle of a woman on average is 28 days. Menstrual cycle is defined as the days from the first day of a period to the first day of the next period. However, in some women this cycle may differ and many women can have their menstrual cycle as less as 21 days or as much as 35 days. Keeping a chart and counting the number of days between each start of a period is a good way to keep track of the cycle. If the number of days is nearly the same every time, then one has regular menstruation, but if there are a lot of variations, one has irregular menstruation. Menstruation can last for 3 to 5 days or more in most cases.
A late period or an early period can account for irregular menstruation. Many women experience irregular periods when they miss a period, or have continuous periods or have bleeding that occurs twice in one cycle. This may occur due to hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone in the body. Hormonal imbalance can occur due to various reasons like dietary habits, lifestyle, poor nutrition, stress, pregnancy, intense exercises or menopause. There are many herbal remedies for irregular menstruation which can regularize the menstrual cycle. But in most cases irregular menses may not be a serious issue and may not be something or major worry. In some cases this condition may be due to complications like cysts, anemia, weight changes, inflammatory bowel disease, STD, pregnancy or medications.
A short term irregularity may be due to the above reasons and long term irregularity can also be treated by using the herbal remedies for irregular menstruation. Some of the herbal remedies for irregular menstruation and irregular menstrual cycle are as stated below:
1. Aloe Vera: The juice of Aloe Vera plant is beneficial for menstrual problems.
2. Mug wort: This herb is used for evening out the menstrual cycle. Add this herb to your tea and drink regularly.
3. Skullcap: Skullcap herb is beneficial is treating this condition.
4. Ginger: This is one of the best herbal remedies for irregular menstruation. It should be included in your diet or add to tea and drink it.
5. Asafetida: This increases the secretion of progesterone hormone which facilitates menstruation.
6. Blood wort: A decoction of this herb is used for the treatment of this condition.
7. Chicory: The seeds of chicory can be used for preparing a decoction for normalizing the menstrual cycle.
8. Dill: Dill is effective in stimulating menstruation and can aid in regularizing the periods.
Apart from these herbal remedies for irregular menstruation, it is advised to have a proper well balanced diet and avoid spicy, oily and heavy foods. Eat food which is easily digestible. Mild exercises should be done regularly to keep the body fit and healthy. There are specific asana in yoga which aid in regularizing irregular menstruation and the menstrual cycle. Proper rest and sleep is essential too. One should visit the doctor if one has frequent irregular menstruation.